Information on Capstone Course (CS281)
The Capstone course (CS281) is the final course for students seeking an Associate degree in Cybersecurity. Students in this course use the knowledge and skills gained from previous networking and security courses to complete a semester-long project, study and pass CompTIA’s Security+ exam to earn the certificate, or work as an intern in an organization working on security-specific tasks. This option provides students with a solid understanding of what it takes to be a security professional.
MassBay Career Services Support for Internships
Tips for securing an internship:
- Start early, at least the semester before an internship is desired. Many companies start recruiting for summer internships in the fall before.
- Schedule a remote career services appointment with Brenda Egan, the STEM Career Development Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org) or career services to learn about the internship process, complete a resume and work on LinkedIn and Handshake profiles. We can also assist with connecting you to resources and opportunities to aid in your internship search.
- Visit the Career Services Internship Page https://www.massbay.edu/career/career-internship-services/internships and enroll in the MassBay Internship Blackboard site for more information. Once enrolled you can access under “My Organizations” on your main Blackboard page.
- Keep in touch with Career Services for the duration of your academic internship, especially if there are any concerns or issues arise.
- Let Career Services know about your feedback regarding experiences at internship sites. Please reach out to career services at the conclusion of your internship to provide your impressions.
Cybersecurity Specific Scholarships
Through the generosity of many companies and organizations in Massachusetts, two Cybersecurity-specific scholarships were created for students.
CYBERSECURITY SCHOLARSHIP (FULL-TIME STUDENT)
The Cybersecurity Scholarship is funded by the generous sponsors of the Information Security Summit established by Towerwall and MassBay Community College. This scholarship supports a full-time student enrolled in the Cybersecurity Associate degree or certificate program.Click here
CYBERSECURITY SCHOLARSHIP (PART-TIME STUDENT)
The Cybersecurity Scholarship was created and is funded by the generous sponsors of the Information Security Summit established by Towerwall and MassBay Community College. This scholarship supports a part-time student enrolled in the Cybersecurity Associate degree or certificate program.Click here
MassBay’s Cybersecurity graduates have successfully transferred to other Massachusetts 4-year institutions (both public and private) and graduated. The director of the Center for Cybersecurity Education is a member of MassCyberCenter’s working group, which supports the training and education of cybersecurity professionals in the Commonwealth through collaboration and partnerships. One of the core activities of this group is expanding articulation agreements and pathways for students majoring in Cybersecurity. Currently, Cybersecurity faculty at MassBay are in talks with UMass Lowell’s faculty to create such articulation. In addition to discussing your transfer goals with your professors, a good resource for transfer advice is MassBay’s Transfer Advising webpage at https://www.massbay.edu/academics/advising/transfer and make an appointment to discuss your specific goals.