Grade Appeals: General Information
Before invoking the Student Grievance Procedure (Grade Appeal), a reasonable effort shall be made by those directly involved to resolve the grade dispute. A grade dispute is most effectively handled and resolved by those closest to the problem, and who have the best understanding and ability to formulate a mutually acceptable resolution. Only when such efforts are unsuccessful shall the grade appeal procedure be invoked.
Students must attempt informal resolution with the faculty and make an appointment with the Student Grade Appeal Officer to review the procedure within 30 calendar days of the posting of final grades. The Grade Appeal Officer is the Academic Dean for the course in which you were enrolled.
For the purpose of Grade Appeals, substantial evidence of error or injustice is defined as:
- The assignment of a course grade to a student on some basis other than performance in the course; or,
- The assignment of a course grade to a student by resorting to unreasonable standards, different from those which were applied by the same instructor to other students in the course; or,
- The assignment of a course grade by a substantial, unreasonable, and unannounced departure from the instructor’s previously articulated standards.
Grade Appeal: Process
Level One — Informal Procedure
- Initiate the Grade Appeal by contacting the faculty member who awarded the course grade in an attempt to resolve the issue. A written request using your MassBay email address is required, and please copy the Grade Appeal Officer. This must happen within 30 calendar days of the postings of final grades for the semester. Your request should include a statement of all known facts as well as the specific resolution you are seeking.
- The faculty member has 10 calendar days to respond to your complaint.
- If resolved, the process ends. If not resolved, you may request a Level Two — Formal Appeal.
Level Two — Formal Procedure
The Grade Appeal Form is for Formal appeals only. It has secure interactive form fields and signature capabilities. To use this form, click on the button below, then download it to your own computer. When you open it there, you will see the secure fields, and you can just type into them.
Grade Appeal Form →
- When a complaint is not resolved informally, you may, within 10 calendar days, file a formal written grievance via the Grade Appeal Form. This must be submitted by email, by mail, or in person to the Grade Appeal Officer.
- The Grade Appeal Officer will deliver the Grade Appeal Form and all supporting documentation to the responding faculty member within 5 calendar days.
- The faculty member will forward a written response to the Grade Appeal Officer within 10 calendar days of receipt of the Grade Appeal Form.
- The Grade Appeal Officer will deliver the response to the student within 5 calendar days. If resolved, the process ends. If not resolved, you may appeal for Level Two – Final Review.
- If you wish to request Level Two - Final Review, you have 10 calendar days to request that the Grade Appeal Officer forward the Grade Appeal to the Office of the Assistant Provost.
- The Assistant Provost will investigate and confer with the Grade Appeal Officer and faculty member, as may be applicable, and will forward a written decision to the Grade Appeal Officer within 10 calendar days of receipt.
- The Grade Appeal Officer will deliver the response to you within 5 calendar days. This is the final decision.
For more detailed information, please consult with the MassBay Student Handbook.