Fulfilling Placement Requirements
English and mathematics are an important part of the foundational work at MassBay Community College. All students seeking and enrolling into a degree or certificate program must fulfill the placement requirements.
MassBay uses multiple measures for a student to meet placement requirements. Students can satisfy the placement requirements in many ways. Students may waive the placement test using one of the multiple measures; these students will have the opportunity to enroll in college-level English and mathematics.
Here is a complete list of ways a student entering MassBay can meet the placement requirement:
- Transfer Credit
- College level English or mathematics with a D or higher* (C- or higher required for transfer of credits); for the transfer of credits, students must submit official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar. For the purposes of placement and placement waivers, students should contact the Academic & Transfer Advising Center, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Developmental coursework* in English and mathematics will not transfer, but can be used for the purposes of placement. Students should contact the Academic & Transfer Advising Center, email@example.com.
- Completion of an Bachelors degree or higher* will meet the English placement requirement.
- Advanced Placement (AP), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB), are all acceptable exams for the purposes of placement and transfer of credit in English and mathematics. Specific information on which exam credit may be granted can be found here: https://www.massbay.edu/cpl. Official scores should be sent directly to the Academic & Transfer Advising Center for review.
- *For all placement waivers and transfer of credit, coursework must have been completed at a regionally accredited college or university. Foreign documents must be translated and evaluated by a credible agency. English coursework will only be accepted from a US institution.
- GED math score of 165 or higher.
- HiSET math score of 15 or higher.
- Students must submit a copy of their GED/HiSET score report to Admissions@massbay.edu.
- High School GPA
- High school cumulative GPA of 2.7 or greater from an accredited U.S. high school within the last 3 years for math placement and 10 years for English placement.
- Students must submit a copy of their high school transcript to Admissions@massbay.edu.
- SAT or ACT
- SAT score of 500 or higher on the verbal portion or ACT English and Reading score of 37 or higher will waive the Accuplacer Reading Comprehension test. (Writeplacer must still be completed.)
- SAT score of 600 or higher on the verbal portion or ACT English and Reading score of 49 or higher will waive both the Accuplacer Writing and Reading Comprehension tests and will satisfy placement for English.
- SAT and ACT scores for math placement are listed in the chart below:
SAT taken in March 2016 or later - math score <470
SAT taken prior to March 2016 - math score <430
ACT Math Score* <17
Enroll in MA 090/MA 090X
SAT taken in March 2016 or later - math score 470–490
SAT taken prior to March 2016 - math score 430–450
ACT Math Score* 17
Enroll in MA 095 or MA 105/MA 105X, MA 106/MA 106X
SAT taken in March 2016 or later - math score 500–530
SAT taken prior to March 2016 - math score 460–500
ACT Math Score* 18-21
Enroll in MA 098 or MA 105, MA 106, or MA 104/MA 104X
SAT taken in March 2016 or later - math score 540–570
SAT taken prior to March 2016 - math score 510–550
ACT Math Score* 22-23
Enroll in MA 102, MA 109
SAT taken in March 2016 or later - math score 580–680
SAT taken prior to March 2016 - math score 560–650
ACT Math Score* 24-29
Enroll in MA 104
SAT taken in March 2016 or later - math score 690–800
SAT taken prior to March 2016 - math score 660–800
ACT Math Score* 30-36
Enroll in MA 200
Students who do not meet any of the above criteria will need to complete the Accuplacer Placement Test. More information and preparatory materials can be found at: https://www.massbay.edu/placementtesting
For more information regarding placement, please contact the Academic Achievement Center at AAC@massbay.edu.