Congratulations and welcome to MassBay!
Felisitasyon epi Byenvini nan MassBay! (Kreyòl Ayisyen) ¡Felicitaciones, y nuestra más cordial bienvenida a MassBay! (Português) ¡Felicitaciones, y nuestra más cordial bienvenida a MassBay! (Español)
5 Steps to Begin Your Future:
1Celebrate, Connect, and Visit
Once you receive your acceptance letter, share the news with your family and friends! Get to know the MassBay community by following us on Facebook:
and on Twitter:
2Satisfy Our Placement Requirement
Placement in the appropriate level of English and math is an important foundational piece of your education. Our placement requirement may be met by:
- A high school gpa of 2.7 from an accredited U.S. high school within the last 3 years (10 for English only)
- Previously completed college-level coursework in English and math (at an accredited U.S. college or with a score of 3 or higher on an AP, 50 or higher on a CLEP, or 4 or higher on an IB High Level exam)
- Completion of an Associate degree (for reading assessment) or Bachelors degree (reading and writing)
- Qualifying SAT or ACT scores within the last 5 years
- Qualifying GED or HiSET scores within the last 3 years (for math assessment)
- Taking the Accuplacer Placement Test, currently being administered online. Sign up online at www.massbay.edu/placementtesting or call 781-239-2620 to make an appointment for your Placement Test. MassBay provides FREE test preparation workshops, and free practice tests are also available online.
Send copies of high school, college or HiSET/GED transcripts or SAT/ACT scores to the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you qualify. Please note that if you do take the placement test you will need to show a picture ID at your appointment.
Please note that placement testing has been converted to an online process for the time being.
3Apply for Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the school year you are planning to enroll at MassBay. The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state financial aid. The FAFSA is located online at www.fafsa.gov. Be sure to add MassBay Community College’s federal school code number: 002171. If you have questions regarding financial aid you can call the office at 781-239-2600 or send an email to email@example.com.
Please note that all financial aid services will no longer be conducted on campus but will be remote for the time being.
4Register for SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, & Registration)
MassBay offers numerous orientation sessions for all new incoming students. These sessions are called SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, & Registration). The SOAR Session, currently offered remotely, is where you will be introduced to and work with our faculty and staff, become acclimated to the college, and learn how to meet with an academic advisor to register for your college courses.
There are many sessions to choose from. You must satisfy the Placement Requirement before attending a SOAR session. To register for a SOAR Session, please visit the MassBay Student Orientation, Advising & Registration web page. Please note that you will need to show a picture ID at your appointment. All sessions will all be held online for the time being.
5Take Care of Business
- Payment is due when you register for classes. Payment made be made online through your student account or you may set up a payment plan.
- Take care of your health insurance. If you register for nine or more credits, you will be charged for health insurance at MassBay. This fee may be waived if you are covered under another health insurance plan.
- Find all of your MassBay computer and online tools in the Student Technology Tutorial.
- Check your MassBay email frequently for updates.
- Purchase text books for your classes.
- If you are in the Biotechnology, Automotive or Health Sciences programs, apply for your student parking pass or consider the public transportation options available to you. No other programs will require on-campus attendance.
Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Students
Home Study Resources while campus is closed due to COVID-19
MassBay Community College technology has changed in the past few months. Some changes provide new services and more security, others provide tools and resources for online and remote classwork, and for virtual meetings for school organizations. Please read below and consult course faculty or the Office of Information Technology helpdesk with any difficulties or questions. You can reach the helpdesk by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CARES ACT FUNDING If you submit a financial aid application through FAFSA.gov you may qualify to receive extra funding for costs related to remote course attendance. Learn more at www.massbay.edu/CARES
INTERNET ACCESS Many internet providers are offering special pricing and programs for internet services during the COVID-19 outbreak. The Office of Information Technology Services is monitoring for new offers and will update this page as we learn more.
How to Get Home Internet Access →
MASSBAY SINGLE SIGN-ON MassBay has moved all services and software, including email, to a single sign-on service called One Login. This offers a higher level of convenience and security to faculty, students and staff.
MassBay Single Sign-On Instructions →
HOW TO USE WEBEX CONFERENCE SERVICES MassBay provides Webex, an online video-conference tool from Cisco, free of charge to faculty, students, and employees. This is a secure and safe internet software program, which allows people to see and hear each other for meetings and classes online.
Cisco Webex and Webcam Set-up and Use →
MASSBAY LIBRARIES MassBay research services are available online. You will need your student ID number to sign in to some of these services, which are scholarly media subscriptions available to enrolled students only. Your OneCard, Library Card, and Student ID numbers are all the same number! You can find this number in Bay Navigator. The MassBay Libraries also offer information and answer questions by phone, email, and live chat.
MassBay Libraries →
How To Look Up your MassBay Student ID in Bay Navigator
- Sign into Bay Navigator.
- Look in the right column of the main landing page of Bay Navigator.
- The column name is MassBay Links.
- Click on the blue link named MassBay Library Card Number.
- The top number, next to “ID:” , is your student number.
- Enter only the number, do not include the “ID:” at the beginning.
CHROMEBOOK LOANER PROGRAM If you lack the equipment to access the internet for meetings, classes, Blackboard Learn, the library — please consult your instructor or email@example.com about possible equipment access.