You are here

Using Your Veteran and Military Service Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Request to use Veteran or Military Education Benefits

Request for GI Bill/Nat'l Guard/Veteran Categorical Waiver →


Each semester the Veteran or Military Student or Dependent must formally request to use their Military or VA education benefits; this form must be sent to the Veteran and Military Services office along with Certificate of Eligibility or documentation as directed below. Email to:

Veterans using the GI Bill® or VA Vocational Rehabilitation must provide a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) to the Veteran and Military Services Office by the first day of classes. Email to:

Veterans using VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) education benefits, need to provide the name, phone number, and email of your counselor to the Veteran and Military Services office. Email to:

National Guard members receiving the National Guard Tuition & Fee waiver must provide a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) to the Veteran and Military Services Office prior to registering for classes, or within 5-days of registering for classes online.

Categorical Tuition Waiver: If you are a military or a veteran and receive the Categorical Tuition Waiver, you must provide documentation of categorical waiver eligibility to the Veteran & Military Services Office. Email to:

Certifying Official Responsibilities

The Certifying Official cannot certify your enrollment prior to your registration for classes, and final certification validation is done after add/drop period. The Request for GI Bill and National Guard Benefits Form should match the classes that you registered for.

Once your enrollment is certified, the VA will normally process the request within five business, however, workflow influences the speed that the transaction is completed.

Veteran and Military Student Responsibilities

After certification, Veteran and Military Students or Dependents must notify the Certifying Official for any of the following reasons:

  • Change of enrollment
  • Drop or withdraw from a class
  • Don’t attend classes or the training programs

Creating a debt with the VA

Failure to notify the Veteran and Military Services office of these changes in enrollment may create a debt with the VA.  Students should monitor add/drop periods each semester to avoid a debt collection.