You are here

MassBay Chosen First Name Policy

MassBay recognizes that members of our community may wish to identify themselves with a first name that differs from their legal name. The College’s chosen name policy strives to support self-identification and believes a chosen name can and should be used wherever possible in the course of College education. Students may use a chosen first name wherever a legal name is not required.


How To Change Your Chosen First Name:

To add a Chosen First Name, students can do so in the student self-service page within their Bay Navigator account. Once logged in, select “MassBay Profile”, “Personal Details”, “Chosen”, then adjust your first name as desired. A video tutorial can also be found on the IT Helpdesk Tutorials page.

Alternatively, a student may change their chosen first name by completing the Chosen First Name Form.


A chosen first name will appear on:

  • Student ID cards (student must visit the OneCard office to request an updated ID card)
  • Email display name (assigned email address will not change but display name will read as chosen first name)
  • Class rosters and advisor lists
  • Blackboard
  • Diplomas (students will be able to select chosen name when applying to graduate)
  • Honors, Awards and recognitions


A student’s legal name shall be used on all College documents, systems, and communications external to the College and/or where a legal name is required. Examples include but are not limited to:

  • Financial aid records
  • Student accounts records
  • Official transcripts
  • Student directory information
  • Health records
  • Interactions with government agencies


Once a chosen name has been added, that name will be used by the College until the student withdraws their request. If the use of a chosen name is for improper use, such as misrepresentation or attempting to avoid a legal obligation, a student may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion. The college reserves the right to modify or reject chosen first names that are offensive or use derogatory language and may be subject to disciplinary action.

A change to a students chosen first name does not change a students legal name. To change your legal name on all College records, please complete the Legal Name Change form. A court order or other acceptable legal documentation is required.