Academic Advisors are committed to assisting all students in the development of meaningful academic plans that are compatible with their academic, career, and life goals from their first contact with the College through graduation and beyond. We introduce incoming students to the opportunities and resources of the College, inform new and returning students of the requirements of academic programs, assist students with the selection of a major and the appropriate courses to ensure academic success, and counsel students regarding transfer opportunities. We strive to help students make the most of their MassBay experience!
New degree-seeking students are assigned their Academic Advisor at new student orientation (SOAR) and will have an opportunity to engage with MassBay's signature advising program (COMPASS) within their first year as a student.
IMportant topics for new students:
Transcript Evaluation for Transfer Credit
The Academic Advising Center at MassBay Community College performs Transfer Credit Evaluations for incoming Transfer Students. If you will be a new MassBay student enrolling in one of our degree or certificate programs and wish to apply credit from another college(s) towards your major, please note the process for Transfer Credit Evaluation at MassBay:
- You must be accepted to the college and have a declared major (degree or certificate program).
- Request an official (in a sealed envelope) transcript from the registrars of all institutions, or the military, that you previously attended for which you wish to transfer credit.
- Submit the official transcript(s) to MassBay for Transfer Credit Evaluation. You may have transcripts mailed to:
MassBay Community College
Office of the Registrar
50 Oakland Street
Wellesley Hills, MA 02481-5307
Or, you may drop them off in the sealed envelope to either the Wellesley Hills or Framingham campus at the Office of the Registrar.
You should submit official transcript(s) at least six (6) weeks prior to the time that you wish to register for upcoming classes to ensure credit is evaluated and posted prior to registration.
Once courses have been officially approved and transferred, they will appear on your MassBay transcript and you will also receive a letter from the Advising Center informing you as to which of your courses transferred in.
Policies Regarding Transfer of Courses
- MassBay only accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited colleges or universities.
- MassBay accepts military credit from the American Council on Education as it applies to your choice of major.
- Credits may be transferred in only if they apply to your current major on record, and/or fulfill requirements in the MassTransfer Block.
- You must have earned a grade of “C-” or better in the course(s) for which you are requesting transfer credit.
- MassBay will not accept Pass/Fail coursework for transfer credit.
- A maximum of 75% of the total credits within the degree or certificate program may be earned by transfer credit.
- Transferred Science and Computer Science courses must have been taken within the last five (5) years.
- Foreign documents must be translated and evaluated by a credible agency, such as the Center for Educational Documentation
- Credit that is accepted according to general college policy is not necessarily acceptable for specific programs of study. This is particularly true in instances where program transfer limits and/or minimum grade requirements are in effect, such as the Health Professions Programs.
- The college reserves the right to refuse recognition for courses that were taken more than ten years prior to the date that students apply for transfer.
- Coursework must be represented in credit hours (clock hours will not be converted to MassBay credit hours).
Credit for Prior Learning
Find out how to get course credits toward your certificate or degree from non-academic life experience →