Supervisors of student workers are expected to:
- Explain and orient the student in detail to his or her role in the department
- Explain the standards of expected behavior
- Ensure that students comply with FERPA policy
- Ensure that students comply with Student Information and Confidentiality Policy
- Provide the necessary training to perform tasks
- Ensure adequate supervision
- Keep lines of communication clear and constructive
- Ensure that students do not work during scheduled class times
- Ensure that students are performing the tasks defined in their job descriptions
- Verify the accuracy of student time entry
- Ensure that students take a 30 minute unpaid break if working 6 or more continuous hours
- Set a good example
It is important to become familiar with the rules and guidelines for hiring students. The Employer Handbook includes information to explain and clarify federal rules and regulations as well as MassBay’s policies and procedures for student employment. Please post jobs to the MassBay Jobs Portal.
Employer listings provide neighborhood organizations who would like to hire currently enrolled MBCC students for part-time positions. Find job listings on College Central - Jobs for Students.
Supervisor Semester Tips
- Work-study Rehires: Throughout August, students who had any work-study earnings in your department in the previous Spring semester are subject to automatic rehire into the same job and given the appropriate merit increase. Please notify the Student Employment Office of any re-hires.
- Summer Work-Study: Students who worked for you during the summer are not automatically rehired. Summer Federal Work-Study is strictly dependent upon available funds. The Federal Work-Study awarded in the student’s financial aid package during the academic year does not carry into Summer employment. Students must apply separately for Summer term.
- Returning Departmental Student Employees: Departmentally paid students are not automatically rehired. Follow the rehire procedure for anyone you wish to rehire. Please contact the Student Employment Office for more information.
- One month before semester starts (August, December, April)-contact your returning students to confirm their return and obtain their preferred schedule.
- Remember to monitor your student’s award balances.