You are here
Career and Internship Services Workshop Descriptions
In this workshop, students will learn how to best prepare for interviews so that these opportunities become jobs. Students will learn how to:
- Research the company where they are interviewing and demonstrate their knowledge of the company and their field
- Understand the position and best present their qualifications
- Practice and prepare for common interviewing questions
- Understand different interviewing formats
- Dress for and follow professional etiquette during interviews
This workshop will provide a step-by-step guide to creating an effective professional resume. Students will learn how to:
- Create the heading, education, experience and skills sections of their resume
- Craft their resume to highlight their most relevant experience
- Identify and include key words from their industry in their resume
- Use job descriptions to customize their resume when applying for positions
Cover Letter Writing
This interactive workshop will provide a step-by-step guide to writing cover letters. Students will learn how to:
- Use proper headings, greetings and closings for a professional correspondence
- Identify and write effectively about their best qualifications for positions
Getting Started with LinkedIn
This workshop will provide an introduction to using LinkedIn for professional development and career growth. Students will learn how to:
- Build their professional profile
- Join groups and follow companies
- Connect with professionals in their field
Starting Your Career Path
Many students initially feel confused or overwhelmed when trying to choose a career direction. This workshop will offer a systematic approach to exploring careers and finding a best fit. We will assist students in confidently making career decisions and establishing a career path.
Successful Goal Setting
This interactive workshop will introduce students to successful goal-setting. Students will learn the importance of goals and how goal setting can help them to achieve success at MassBay and beyond. In addition, they will learn to:
- Establish SMART goals to maximize success
- Navigate obstacles that impede meeting goals
In this workshop, students will learn how to:
- Create a professional online reputation
- Use social media to offer skills and advertise expertise to a broad audience
Managing Multiple Projects
This workshop will help students learn how to manage personal and professional projects with meaning and success. We will focus on developing helpful strategies for working on team and individual projects and using time management tools effectively.
Cultural Competency in the Workplace
In this workshop, students will work towards defining diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Group Dynamics and Team Building
In this workshop, students will learn how to work cross-functionally. It incorporates the work of Michael Ruiz’s Four Agreements to develop communication skills that can be used both in and out of the workplace.
This training, based on Carol Dweck’s (Professor of Psychology at Stanford University) book, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, will teach students to understand the differences between a fixed and growth mindset and the advantages of a growth mindset approach. We will also discuss how to develop a growth mindset in order to better face challenges.
This workshop provides an overview of Howard Gardner’s five categories of Emotional Intelligence: Self-Awareness, Self-Regulation, Motivation, Empathy and Social Skills.
Professionalism Through Technology
In this workshop, students will learn how to effectively communicate using technology. The discussion will include: phone and email etiquette appropriate uses of social media at work and how to utilize technological tools for career success.