Humanities at MassBay Artwork by Massbay students Megan Gove & Michael Baker, Class of 2012
Language is perhaps the greatest human achievement. It is a vehicle for thought, for communication, and for sheer delight. In today’s world, where in survey after survey employers cite “communication skills” as one of their top priorities, being able to read and write with purpose and clarity is essential for personal and professional success.
At MassBay Community College, the English Department is committed to helping students become skilled users of language. Our courses are designed to help students become strong critical and analytical readers and writers who can tackle a variety of rhetorical tasks.
By the end of the writing program, students will be able to:
- Read complex fiction and non-fiction texts;
- Write focused, well-argued analyses and arguments that integrate personal experience and external sources of information, with an understanding of the various processes for doing so;
- Find and evaluate information from a variety of sources, including print, electronic, audio-visual, and other media;
- Think in a sophisticated, open-minded, information-based, culturally diverse, and critically analytical way;
- Develop a lifelong habit of reading and writing.
We offer small classes, dedicated and experienced faculty, comprehensive academic support services, and a rich, engaging curriculum.
Student Digication Portfolio
Click image below to view a sample of our student Digication Portfolio.
English Department Chair, Associate Professor Matt Walsh