Welcome to MassBay Community College.
How To Apply For Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Process is easy. Here is how it works - just follow the steps. If you have any questions about the process, call us at (781) 239-2600 or email us.
Student Debt Information
MassBay Community College is committed to ensuring that students are able to have access to quality education while accruing as little student debt as possible. A variety of financial aid websites are available to students to assist them with personal financial planning and the management of student loan debt. The average student debt that a MassBay Community College student might anticipate is $9,893 at the conclusion of the associate’s degree. Approximately 34% of MassBay graduates borrow money through student loans to complete their MassBay degree.
Complete the 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state financial aid. List "MassBay Community College" and our federal school code number: 002171, in the College Release Section.
We strongly encourage you to complete the application online by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you would prefer to complete a paper FAFSA, you may obtain a copy at the Financial Aid Office or you may request a copy by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
The priority deadline for the 2014-2015 academic year is May 1, 2014. This means that if you complete your FAFSA on or before May 1, your eligibility will be reviewed for all types of Federal and state aid. By adhering to this deadline, you ensure yourself the best possible financial aid package for which you are eligible.
Please note that you are encouraged to fill out a FAFSA even if you have missed the May 1 deadline. There are several types of Federal and state aid available to students throughout the academic year.
However, it is important to also note that as the billing due date approaches, it may be necessary for you to sign up for a payment plan while waiting for your financial aid to be processed. Review of financial aid eligibility may take as many as 6 – 8 weeks from the time that your FAFSA is complete.
Chuck Spirou, Senior Financial Aid Counselor at MassBayDiscusses tips on filling out the FAFSA
You must meet the following criteria to be considered for financial aid:
- Be accepted to an eligible program.
- You must complete an Admissions Application and declare a financial aid eligible major. Please note that undeclared majors are not eligible for financial aid.
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or can prove equivalency of a high school diploma.
- Have a completed financial aid file as outlined above.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Register with selective service if you are a male aged 18-25. To check your status or to register, visit Selective Service System.
- Not be in default with a Federal Loan or owe an overpayment to a Federal Student Assistance program.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Not have been convicted of a state or federal drug offense within the limits established by the U.S. Department of Education. If you have any questions call the Department of Education (800) 433-3243 or the Financial Aid Office.