Welcome to MassBay Community College.

Financing Your Education for Veterans and Their Families

This guide is designed to provide important information to veterans and their families about the options that may be available to them to assist with meeting college expenses.

Please contact the following departments for detailed information about the admission process, financial aid options, or veteran’s benefits.

MassBay Community College
50 Oakland Street
Wellesley, MA  02481

Admissions Office
(781) 239-2500
Financial Aid Office    
(781) 239-2600
Office of Veterans Affairs
(781) 239-2753

Information About Education Benefits for Veterans and Their Families

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  The more active duty time you have accrued, the more funds you would receive. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for a transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you. 

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program.  Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

MassBay is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students eligible to receive Veterans (GI Bill®) Education Benefits.  Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, reservists, and dependents of Veterans may be eligible for V.A. education benefits.  Students may apply for educational benefits for full or part time enrollment.  The V.A. certifying official does not determine eligibility but provides advising on application procedures and certifies enrollment and attendance to the V.A.

MassBay Community College accepts credit for military service as per ACE guidelines as credit applies toward choice of major.

Visit www.gibill.va.gov for information about GI Bill® Education Benefits.

Massachusetts residents who are members in good standing with the Massachusetts National Guard are eligible for a tuition and fee reimbursement program for day and evening credit classes.

Information About Financial Aid

To apply for all types of Federal financial aid, including the Pell Grant, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply online through FAFSA on the Web at www.fafsa.gov.

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or graduate degree.

The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2015-2016 award year (July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016) is $5,775. The amount a student receives is dependent on the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the cost of attending the institution, whether the student attends full-time or part-time, and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less. Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Financial need is determined by the U.S. Department of Education using a standard formula established by Congress to evaluate the financial information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and to determine the student's EFC. The fundamental elements in this standard formula are the student's and, in the case of dependent students, the parents' income and assets, the family's household size, and the number of family members attending postsecondary institutions.

Students may receive a Federal Pell Grant even if they are enrolled less than half-time, if the student is otherwise eligible. The student will not receive as much as if they were enrolled full time, but MBCC will disburse Pell Grant funds in accordance with the student's enrollment status.

 Information about Federal Student Loans

William D. Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program: This federal program, created by the U.S. Department of Education, enables students to borrow to help pay educational expenses. MassBay is responsible for determining eligibility based on the results of the FAFSA and current federal regulations. The loan(s) are taken out in the student’s name, and there is no credit check required to qualify for this program. All recipients must complete Federally mandated loan entrance counseling and complete a master promissory note prior to disbursement of funds. Exit counseling must be completed before graduation, at termination of enrollment, or if enrollment drops below 6 credits (half-time) in a semester. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in a semester in order to be eligible.  Loans will not be credited to your account or be applied as anticipated aid until both the entrance counseling and master promissory note have been completed.

Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans: are need-based and do not accrue interest while a student is enrolled.

Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans: are non need-based and interest accrues while a student is enrolled. Students may choose to defer the interest and pay it with the principal amount upon graduation, or pay the interest on a quarterly basis while still enrolled.

Maximum Loan Amounts


Grade Level One: 0 - 29 completed credit hours
$5,500 - Dependent Student (Maximum Subsidized Stafford is $3,500)
$9,500 - Independent Student (Maximum Subsidized Stafford is $3,500)

Grade Level Two: 30+ completed credit hours
$6,500 - Dependent Student (Maximum Subsidized Stafford is $4,500)
$10,500 - Independent Student (Maximum Subsidized Stafford is $4,500)

A Master Promissory Note (MPN) and student loan entrance counseling must be completed by the student. These forms can be found online at www.studentloans.gov.  Repayment of the loan begins at the end of a six-month grace period after the student either graduates, stops attending, or is registered for fewer than six (6) credits per quarter.

Federal PLUS Loan

This loan program is designed to assist the parent(s) who wants to borrow money to help pay for the educational expenses for each child who is a dependent undergraduate student.

The student must be registered for a minimum of six (6) credit hours for the entire loan period in order for a parent to be eligible for a PLUS loan.

Parents can apply for this loan using the Direct Loans online application at http://www.studentloans.gov

Alternative/Private Loan

Alternative loans are private loans through a lending institution and are not part of the federal government programs. Alternative loans are typically more expensive than federal government guaranteed loans and should only be used when all other options have been exhausted. Research all possibilities for scholarships, grants, Work Study, and federal loan programs before borrowing from an alternative loan program.

More information on private loan lenders is available online at the following website.