Find your future now at MassBay Community College
THE HONORS PROGRAM:
BUILDING A COMMUNITY OF SCHOLARS
MassBay Community College’s Honors Program was established to provide our students with opportunities to challenge themselves and to engage with their peers, professors and the community in new ways. In our Honors classes you’ll get the chance to explore challenging topics in in-depth ways.
What are the advantages of honors classes?
These academically rigorous courses provide:
- Smaller classes
- Original research opportunities
- Transcript notation
- Close mentoring
- Intellectually challenging curricula
- Networking with other undergraduate and graduate scholars
- Interdisciplinary approaches to topics
- Colloquia opportunities
- Membership in a larger community of scholars across the Commonwealth
How do you join MassBay’s community of scholars?
Anyone may take an honors course. You may take an honors course if you place into EN 101 and speak with the course professor or the Honors Coordinator.
If you want to take more than one honors course, and you do not have any previous college experience, you must:
- Submit a 500 word essay explaining why you want to enroll in honors courses at MassBay
- Interview with the Honors Coordinator and achieve one of the following:
- 3.3 GPA from high school
- 3.0 GPA with 2 letters of recommendation from faculty
- A minimum score of 1100 on the SAT, or
- 25 on the ACT
If you have previous college experience, you must:
- Submit a 500 word essay explaining why you are interested in honors courses
- Provide 2 letters of recommendation from faculty
- Achieve a qualifying score on a MassBay placement test
- 3.3 overall GPA with 12 credits or more, and
- 3.3 grade in an honors course, if taken
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the Office of the Provost, 781-239-3117.
What do MassBay honors students say about their experiences?
“[Honors courses] open up new avenues to challenge and expand your academic talents. You will meet wonderful professors, staff and fellow students who will enrich your college experience. They may also change the direction in which your college career is headed.”
- Maureen E. Gannon
“The Honors Program allows you to challenge yourself educationally. The Honors Program encourages you to look beyond the classroom lectures and to study the subject in depth. It helps to prepare you to continue your education beyond the associate’s degree.”
- Mary Hughes
“The Honors Program at MassBay challenged me to bring out my full potential as a student and enabled me to grasp the subjects studied with great depth. The professors teaching the honors courses are true educators and they have prepared me for a bright future, one that includes admission to Wellesley College this fall.
Thanks to MassBay and its Honors Program I am prepared to go anywhere and everywhere a good education will take me.”
- Nyselle Clark